Our client is a well-established successful house builder who are expanding their engineering department due to growth of the business. They are looking to appoint a Technical Engineer to join their existing team in York.
You will be responsible for the design and coordination of all infrastructure, substructure and groundworks information to enable efficient and cost-effective construction of new housing schemes. Reporting directly to the Technical Manager, you will be responsible for live projects.
- Co-ordinating consultants for road, sewer, external works, private drainage structural, foundation, pump station and other bespoke designs. Review designs for cost/build issues and mark-up drawings/arrange meetings to feed back to consultants.
- Obtain technical submission drawing/info packs from the consultants for submission to authorities.
- Obtain and evaluate new utility quotes for most cost effective and suitable offers.
- Assessment of any diversion/upgrade works required to existing services that affect the development and obtain costs/timescales for diversions in good time to suit programme. Calling off initial mains installation and attending prestart meetings with utility companies/organising payments.
- Obtaining foundation designs, suspended slab designs, schedules, standard details and relevant information to enable construction. Review all foundation designs for cost/build issues and make comments.
- Review site GI reports to see if any protective/remedial measures are required. Organise Geotech. Consultants to carry out testing/site works to clear planning conditions classify spoil material/waste and remediate ground if required to do so.
- Review ecological and arboricultural reports to ensure that protected species and vegetation are dealt with prior to any critical site works starting. Ongoing attendance with specialist consultants as required for certain protected species.
- Inspections/adoptions with authorities including fees, attendance of meetings on site with inspectors and contractors, procurement of as-built survey information/manhole cards, streetlight test certificates, CCTV surveys. Arrange for any remedial works to be carried out and determine whether these are the responsibility of the contractor or DDL.
- Organising CCTV/Jetting of existing/newly constructed sewers to ensure they are in good working order while in the maintenance period. Attending site or organising a drainage contractor if customer care issues relating to drainage are reported.
What you need to succeed
- HNC / HND or similar in Civil Engineering
- Currently working for a PLC house builder or Consultancy who work within the residential sector
- Experience working on larger residential schemes (over 100 plots) desirable
- Highly organised with good problem-solving abilities and strong communication skills
- Must enjoy working in a fast paced, team environment and be able to respond quickly to technical queries and evolving project briefs